It’s a big question that seems to come up a lot in conversations with clients and others. I’ve just read the brilliant The War of Art by Steven Pressfield – which covers this question in some depth.
Here is what it means to me:
- To turn up every day (no matter what)
- To do your best
- To work at your craft
- To hold firmly (but not too tightly)
- To take responsibility
- To appreciate and charge for your value
- To know that you can handle it
- To be on when you’re on – and off when you’re off
- To stick at it for the long haul
- To learn from adversity
- To have a sense of humour about it all
Most importantly – to act with integrity in everything that you do.
What do you think makes a professional?